Growing with Gray: Q&A with Project Manager Taylor Bowling

Growing with Gray is more than just an opportunity for professional growth. It’s a roadmap to guide the company’s next generation of leaders into the future. Through mentorship, training, and community building, we offer team members the ability to master their craft, take on new challenges, and excel. Project Manager Taylor Bowling has experienced this firsthand. We spoke with him about his growth at Gray, how mentorship shaped his career path, and why he enjoys working in the Southeast Office.

Describe your normal workday–your “day in the life.”

 

“My typical day is committed to ensuring the safety of the project and maximizing the experience of the customer–no matter what’s on the calendar. That’s typically built around communicating with the customer and partnering with the site team and our subcontract partners. There’s different forums such as meetings, phone calls, and emails, but communication is constant–which I enjoy.”

 

What do you enjoy most about your work?

 

“I enjoy having the opportunity to not just build buildings, but build relationships and work with great people. I have found the best relationships are often forged through overcoming the toughest challenges as a team. Being able to still stay in touch with customers and subcontractors that I’ve worked with in the past is what makes the effort rewarding.”

 

What has been your most memorable experience since being a part of the Gray Family?

 

“A project that always stands out to me is the Q CELLS solar project in Dalton, GA. The project was constantly faced with adversity. But, at the end of the day, we overcame each challenge as a team. It produced enduring relationships that continue to lead to future projects today. Even though that was four years ago now, I still look back and draw inspiration from how much growth our team experienced that led to that project’s success and a satisfied customer.”

 

What’s the most valuable advice you’ve ever been given?

 

“‘Focus on building people first and building buildings second.’ That came from Bradley Opell, who has been the most impactful mentor I’ve had at Gray. We spend countless hours talking about how to build teams and provide our team members with the best opportunity to succeed. I always find it interesting that we spend maybe 25% of our time discussing a construction coordination or quality topic, and the other 75% about how to build a team with the confidence to trust their character, have courage, and build competency. Having Bradley as a mentor, leader, and friend has been invaluable to my success at Gray.”

 

What do you think sets Gray apart from other service providers in the industry?

 

“I think it’s the ‘team of teams’ mindset, no doubt. Gray has never felt like just a company to me but something way more special than that. Gray is a group of people with various backgrounds, experiences, and talents tied together with a focused commitment to each other’s success.”

 

In one word or phrase, how would you describe Gray?

 

“Family.”

 

What unique capabilities does the Southeast Office provide, and how do they complement Gray’s overall service offering?

 

“The Southeast Office provides dedication, adaptability, and relationships. The Southeast Office has executed projects across Gray’s different services. Our ability and expertise to adapt to different opportunities and challenges is fueled by a dedication to the customer and the project’s success.”

 

If someone was visiting the Birmingham area, what would you recommend to them as a “must-do?”

 

“You can’t talk about Birmingham without talking about the food! There are also a lot of sporting events in Birmingham or close by that I really enjoy. The Southeast Office is special because we still love to spend time together outside of work. We go to Barons’ games, get overly competitive at the Birmingham Corporate Challenge, and even have tacos at a team member’s house.”

 

If you would like to learn more about joining the Gray family, please visit our Careers page.

Gallery

    Get the latest.