9 Maintenance Tips to Get Your Facility Ready for Spring
Now that spring has sprung, Gray Service Team Manager Steve Higgins offers a few friendly reminders to prepare your facility and grounds for a safe, successful warm weather season.
- Turn on your landscape irrigation system if you drained it to prevent freezing. This will protect your landscaping during warmer, dry weather.
- Check your asphalt/concrete paving. Damage may have occurred during snow removal, and it may be time to apply a new sealer to prevent water infiltration into the sub-grade beneath the asphalt/concrete paving.
- Perform a general review of your roof. Check gutters and roof drains to ensure they are clean and draining properly. Make sure snow and ice buildup haven’t damaged flashing; address any loose flashing immediately in preparation for springtime storms and wind.
- Check all exterior sealants on windows, roofs, door thresholds, etc. to ensure that all joints are still tight. It is common for sealants exposed to harsh winter conditions and freeze thaw cycles to open up, which can lead to leaking during spring rains.
- Thoroughly review your HVAC system. Switch HVAC controls from heat to cooling modes as desired. Check and change filters and belts as needed. Lubricate motor and fan bearings and clean coils as necessary.
- Check outside lighting lamps and ballasts for performance. Repair and replace as necessary to maintain visibility and safety.
- Survey your fire alarm system, checking smoke and duct detectors to ensure proper operation.
- Perform a general electrical system inspection. This may include a thermal imaging scan for hot spots and ensuring that panels are clean and lugs are properly tightened.
- Ensure your fire protection system is working correctly by conducting your annual fire system and pump test as needed.
If you have questions about your facility’s spring maintenance, contact Steve Higgins at 859.281.9354 or firstname.lastname@example.org.