Clemens Food Group selected Gray to provide design-build services on a 650,000 s.f. fresh pork processing facility in Coldwater, Mich. At full capacity, the facility can process approximately 11,000 hogs per shift, all of which will be sourced through several regional family farms.
The new fresh pork processing facility for Clemens Food Group in Coldwater, Michigan has been named a winner in ProFood World magazine’s 2018 Manufacturing Innovation Awards. In its second annual awards competition, ProFood World recognizes outstanding processing and packaging operations in the food and beverage industry.
- Total area: 650,000 s.f.
- Building features:
- Floor construction consists of reinforced concrete slabs, insulated concrete slab with glycol in cooler/freezer area
- Wall construction consists of structural pre-cast, insulated metal panels
- Structural pre-cast with double-t roof, structural pre-cast with joist & deck, structural steel with joist & deck (both galvanized)
- Fully automated conveyance equipment was incorporated into the facility, resulting in improved efficiencies and a higher quality, more consistent product
- Patented chilling procedures were implemented to assure food safety and minimize shrinkage of meat, including a 3,128 ft. Snap Chill Chain, which is the longest and fastest Snap Chill in the world
- Followed Temple Grandin livestock handling methods for humane treatment of animals
- Schedule: 28 months
- Created approximately 830 jobs
- Located on more than 400 acres - 130 devoted to the processing facility.
Services Provided by Gray:
- Automation Systems Integration
- Civil Engineering
- Permit Procurement
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Refrigeration Engineering
- Construction Management